[MITgcm-support] Modify pickup files in FLT package

Louise Rousselet lrousselet at ucsd.edu
Wed May 6 12:40:28 EDT 2020

Dear all,

I am currently using the FLT package from MITgcm to track particles using the ECCO data. I have tracked particles for 2000 years and now I would like to extend my experiment to 3000 years for example. I know how to launch a restart from a previous run (using the last position of the particles) using the pickup files. However, my problem is that I initialized the particles with a  maximum integration time (variable called tend in the init files) of 2000 years. Thus if I launch a restart from the pickup files the particles are no longer advected because they already reached the maximum integration time. I guess the maximum integration time (tend) is somehow written in the pickup files. To extend my experiment I thus need to modify this variable, so that my particles are advected for more than 2000 years. To save computation time, it would be easier if I could restart from the pickup files instead of re-running the experiment from the init files (with a modified “tend”). Does anyone know if this maximum integration time can be set somewhere in the FLT package or if it is possible to modify the pickup files in order to increase the “tend” variable ?

Many thanks,

Louise
Louise Rousselet
Postdoctoral Scholar