[MITgcm-support] consatant open boundary flow but interior current changing periodicaly

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon Jun 15 10:47:05 EDT 2020

Assuming the flow is stratified, I’d expect an inertial response if you start up the flow impulsively.  The inertial rtansiet will die away, but will take a while, so suggest you spin the model up slowly over a few inertial periods if this response is a problem.

Cheers,   Jody

> On 13 Jun 2020, at 23:36, 葉祐瑜 <B05209023 at ntu.edu.tw> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am running some implicitfreesurface ocean simulations with grid size 4800*1*150 and with below setting in data.obcs:
>
> &OBCS_PARM01
> OB_Ieast=1*-1,
> OB_Iwest=1*1,
> useOrlanskiEast=.TRUE.,
> useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
> OBWuFile = 'uOBW.bin',   (incoming flow is set to be a constant eastward current )
> &OBCS_PARM02
> Cmax=0.45,
> cVelTimeScale=1000.,
> &
>
> And there is a small sill in the middle of domain. I found that  the output U velocity above the sill seems to chang periodicaly with time, which is different from my expection. I think that U above the sill should not change largely with time because of a consatant current flowing into domain on western boundary. Because I am new to MITgcm, I am not sure whether such changing flow above the sill is ture. Can anyone help me with this issue? Did I make something wrong when setting th model? Thank you for you help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> YuYu Yeh
> Undergraduated student
> Department of Atmospheric Sciences, National Taiwan University
Jody Klymak
http://ocean-physics.seos.uvic.ca/~jklymak/