[MITgcm-support] consatant open boundary flow but interior current changing periodicaly

葉祐瑜 B05209023 at ntu.edu.tw
Sun Jun 14 02:36:10 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I am running some implicitfreesurface ocean simulations with grid size 4800*1*150 and with below setting in data.obcs:

&OBCS_PARM01
OB_Ieast=1*-1,
OB_Iwest=1*1,
useOrlanskiEast=.TRUE.,
useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
OBWuFile = 'uOBW.bin',   (incoming flow is set to be a constant eastward current )
&OBCS_PARM02
Cmax=0.45,
cVelTimeScale=1000.,
&

And there is a small sill in the middle of domain. I found that  the output U velocity above the sill seems to chang periodicaly with time, which is different from my expection. I think that U above the sill should not change largely with time because of a consatant current flowing into domain on western boundary. Because I am new to MITgcm, I am not sure whether such changing flow above the sill is ture. Can anyone help me with this issue? Did I make something wrong when setting th model? Thank you for you help!

Best regards,

YuYu Yeh
Undergraduated student
Department of Atmospheric Sciences, National Taiwan University