[MITgcm-support] Need assistance for tuning currents in the physical model

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 00:06:56 EDT 2020

Hi Kunal, impressive start!

It’s best if you keep discussion in MITgcm-support, however,
that way other MITgcm users might contribute to or benefit from the discussion.

So you have no river runoff?  Could that explain the lack of low salinity region south of Gulf of Khambhat?

And you are not specifying currents at the open boundaries?  Could that explain, in part, the differences with OSCAR?

I have no explanation for the warm SST bias.  Which bulk formulae are you using?
Or maybe there is a problem in your surface boundary conditions, e.g., wrong time of year?
Or could you have chosen an anomalously warm year to simulate?
Remember that WOA is a really weird multi-year space-time average.
So comparing one month of your model simulation with WOA will not necessarily match.

D.