[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Need assistance for tuning currents in the physical model

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:38:12 EDT 2020

Hi Kunai, a good starting point is to use parameters and settings that have previously been used by others.
There is many examples here: http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/ <http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/>
And maybe someone on the list with a similar domain configuration to yours can pitch in with a specific example.

After that, fine-tuning for your specific configuration, boundary conditions, etc., can be done using model sensitivity experiments for the parameters that you want to adjust and then optimizing the value of these parameters relative to observations, as is done here: https://journals.ametsoc.org/mwr/article/133/5/1224/67525/Using-Green-s-Functions-to-Calibrate-an-Ocean <https://journals.ametsoc.org/mwr/article/133/5/1224/67525/Using-Green-s-Functions-to-Calibrate-an-Ocean>

Cheers, Dimitris