[MITgcm-support] Regional high-res model configuration

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Apr 21 10:55:36 EDT 2020

>> 4) The MY82 package does not allow using the convective adjustment (cAdjFreq) and ivdc_kappa. Does it mean that the MY in MITgcm works fine with vertical instability cases? Actually, it should, as follows from J. Mellor's papers, but this question arose when I was investigating the GGL90 code, where I found the line "convective adjustment might be needed even with ggl90"…
> Why do you want to use the MY82 package? I’d prefer GGL90 or KPP (although at your resolution, KPP might be noisy (see this thread <http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2020-April/012427.html <http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2020-April/012427.html>>).
> You can just comment out the stop-statement in the code and use MY82 with other convective adjustment, but it should (like GGL90) remove the instabilities, because it’s also Richardson number based. MY82 is not really used that much (at all?).

Right, when the Richardson number goes to less than 1/4, the diffusivity and viscoisity goes to infinity, or more practically, to a capping value.

You may also look at KL10 for these scales, which only puts dissipation into overturns, but tries to do so in an energetically consistent way.

Cheers,   Jody