[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Banding, Checkerboarding in KPP Viscosities

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Apr 7 03:27:14 EDT 2020

Hi Senja,

in order not confuse this with the KPP_ESTIMATE_UREF issue (https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/issues/336), let’s move this discussion back to the support list. I am citing you:

> It could be that the issue I'm encountering can't be solved by modifying KPP_ESTIMATE_UREF, of course. KPPdiffT and KPPviscA fields do look noticeably different in the various configurations we've tried (without ESTIMATE_UREF, with it 'fixed' with dbloc imported and work1 not, and with your new improved fix).

Not knowing what’s going on, I would save all available KPP (3D) diagnostics to see which KPP variables are affected. Do the fluxes due to viscosity and the countergradient fluxes compensate the checkerboard pattern? Does reducing the time step do anything?

Is your configuration simple enough so that you can share it?

Martin