[MITgcm-support] change ptracers surface BC during runtime

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Thu Apr 2 23:36:51 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I have been using ptracers, but only with RBCS to restore the surface BC as a source. However, this only allows a fixed location for surface input.

I am wondering if the following is possible, potentially with/without RBCS.

1. Change the locations of surface source of ptracers while the code is running. The locations are based on other output.

2. If the above is plausible, link the ptracers surface BC with the continuous changes of sea ice cover.

These might need modifications in the code. My goal is to enforce ptracers=1 on the surface, when the sea ice cover percentage at that location is below a certain level. Is there any reference to it? I see some words mentioning this in gchem pkg, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Thank you very much.

Best,

Yilang