[MITgcm-support] How to start from given initial conditions without restarting the simulation

Shevchenko, Igor i.shevchenko at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 12:00:04 EDT 2020

Dear MITgcm users,

I am trying to figure out how to start MITgcm from given initial conditions without restarting the whole simulation (the task seems relatively simple, and I likely missed it in the user manual). The initial conditions I use is essentially the solution of the model taken at given times and then modified. For now, I run the whole simulation, save the solution at given times, modify it and then
run the model again from each new initial condition for a period of time. The problem is that the model is forced by atmospheric forcing and uses open boundary conditions for the ocean. This makes the process of preparing new initial conditions extremely laborious and very prone to errors which can come from inaccurate and inconsistent approximations of forcing terms and open boundary conditions.

I am curious, does MITgcm have a capability of picking up a given solution at a given time without restarting the whole simulation so that one could avoid preparing forcing and boundary data for each particular moment in time?

Best regards,
Igor