[MITgcm-support] MITgcm Floats Package Depth Interpolation Issue

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Wed Apr 1 20:51:00 EDT 2020

Hi John,

Not sure if you have modified the code but I always specify the actual vertical positions (not fractal indice) in the flt input files.  I found these in README.flt (https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/blob/master/pkg/flt/README.flt):

c     Each float contains a 9 element double precision record of a  c     direct access file. The records are: c      c     - npart   A unique float identifier (1,2,3,...) c     - tstart  start date of integration of float (in s) c               Note: If tstart=-1 floats are integrated right from the  c               beginning c     - xpart   x position of float (in units of XC) c     - ypart   y position of float (in units of YC) c     - kpart   actual vertical level of float c     - kfloat  target level of float (should be the same as kpart at c               the beginning) c     - iup     flag if the float  c               - should profile   ( >  0 = return cycle (in s) to surface)  c               - remain at depth  ( =  0 ) c               - is a 3D float    ( = -1 ). c               - should be advected WITHOUT additional noise ( = -2 ).  c                 (This implies that the float is non-profiling) c               - is a mooring     ( = -3 ), i.e. the float is not advected c     - itop    time of float the surface (in s) c     - tend    end  date of integration of float (in s) c               Note: If tend=-1 floats are integrated till the end of c               the integration

And if you are a pythoner you may want to check this repo (https://github.com/rabernat/floater/blob/master/floater/generators.py).

Hope this helps.

------------------

 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn