[MITgcm-support] questions about ptracers_integrate.F

Peipei Wu 1755484049 at qq.com
Thu Sep 5 21:36:37 EDT 2019

Hi,

I use the MITgcm model to simulate the transport of microplastics over the global ocean . Wind affects the drift of microplastics on the sea surface. However, the offline input files do not include the wind field.

I calculate the speed for drift (Udrift and Vdrift) based on UvelFile, VvelFile and wind field data from ECMWF, e.g. one linear solution is Udrift=Uvel+Uwind*0.01, Vdrift=Vvel+Vwind*0.01. Then the uFld(:,:,1) and vFld(:,:,1) in ptracers_integrate.F were replaced by Udrift(:,:) and Vdrift(:,:). The results were not very satisfactory.

I wonder if I changed the appropriate subroutine? Will the change of uFld and vFld break the conservation relations? I would be greatly appreciated if you could give some suggestions on simulating the drift process of microplastics.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Peipei Wu