[MITgcm-support] Ross Sea simulation crash

Pochini, Enrico epochini at inogs.it
Tue Oct 22 09:53:57 EDT 2019

Dear MITgcm support group,

I'm trying to develop a model of the Ross Sea for my PhD. Until now I've
generated the grid and I've started testing it with constant atmospheric
forcing, boundary conditions, and initial conditions, but I'm crashing a
few kilo-seconds after initialization.

To generate it I followed what is written in this page:
https://github.com/knaughten/mitgcm_python/wiki/Creating-a-new-MITgcm-domain#grid

However even minimal runs with disabled SHELFice, OBCS packages, imposing
no surface forcing, with uniform initial conditions, still it develops
instabilities and crashes.

I'm absolutely new to MITgcm and ocean modeling and I would need your help
to understand what is causing the issues, in particular if the bathymetry
has some pathologies or the (spherical) grid violates CFL somewhere .. (?)
I'm using 150 seconds timestep, 0.5 degree grid.

I've attached four minimal test outputs, with and without ice shelf, with
and without smoothing of ice shelf draft and bathymetry. The number with
the file is the last iteration printed.
Thank you.

Best regards,
 file_support.tar.gz
<https://drive.google.com/a/inogs.it/file/d/1SM5mtzq3WgF61EbLh4404N5cz3czIuSI/view?usp=drive_web>

Enrico Pochini

PhD student, University of Trieste, Italy