[MITgcm-support] Stratification creating current without forcing (Martin Losch)

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 28 09:48:44 EST 2019

Hi Michael,

that’s a good point, I just modified verification/isomip/input/ a little to have a linear salinity profile (and adjusted the  SHELFICEloadAnomalyFile), and I too get increasing kinetic energy (ke_mean=5e-13m^2/s^2 after 20 timestep and still increasing exponentially). When I turn off diffusion, then the ke_mean rises only to 1e-22m^2/s^2 due to the not quite perfect loadAnaomaly and then goes back to 1e-23m^2/s^2 aby timestep 20. I keep forgetting that (vertical) diffusion is actually a source of energy in a stratified fluid.

Martin