[MITgcm-support] Stratification creating current without forcing

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Nov 27 04:05:58 EST 2019

Hi Nadine,

when you add stratification and still want to have an ocean at rest without any forcing (this includes no meltwater forcing, i.e. SHELFICEheatTransCoeff=0., SHELFICEsaltTransCoeff = 0. or similarly shiCdrag=0), you need to make sure that your iceshelf is in exact hydrostatic balance with the ocean (by specifying an appropriate SHELFICEloadAnomalyFile). This is a little tricky with a non-linear equation of state, but you can find an example in verification/isomip/input/gendata.m how to create data for the  SHELFICEloadAnomalyFile = 'phi0surf.exp1.jmd95z’, in data.shelfice. This file needs to be regenerated each time you change your stratification or your equation of state.

Martin