[MITgcm-support] Stratification creating current without forcing

Nadine Steiger Nadine.Steiger at uib.no
Wed Nov 27 03:45:31 EST 2019

Dear all,

I am using an idealized setup of a v-shaped channel in MITgcm with
dimensions of 250 km x 140 km x 0.8 km.
So far, I had no stratification in the water and added now a linear
stratification in salinity (still constant temperature).

To test the setup, I started without any forcing and heat/momentum
source, to test if the water stays in rest. Surprisingly, it does not
and I get a circulation that increases in strength with time. In the
model runs without stratification everything worked fine and the ocean
stayed in rest.

I checked the first time steps and it looks like the salinity reduces at
the bottom along the topography, where I also get non-zero velocities.
It seems like the reduction in salinity happens exactly in the cells
where HFacC is between 0 and 1.

Does anyone know what is happening there?

Thanks a lot,
Nadine

This is my data-file:

# Continuous equation parameters