[MITgcm-support] Bulk forcing and partial cells

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 18 04:38:00 EST 2019

Hi Oceane,

this typically happens when (surface) ocean points are nearly isolated, i.e. only have only one grid cell face in common with the rest of the domain. Then there is no advection possible and only diffusion can remove anomalous values (and with stable, diffusive advection schemes, there’s often no explicit diffusion turned on). The surface forcing keeps adding/removing freshwater, and with a linear free surface, this is done by some sort of virtual salt flux, so that you keep increasing/decreaing the salinity without balancing this input by lateral fluxes of salinity. The partial cells don’t really make a difference, except that the cell volume may be even smaller so that you can fill up your smaller cell with salt even faster.

To solve this, I’d try the non-linear free surface (because the added freshwater will change not change the salt content, but the surface height which is quickly compensated by fast waves), or remove these individual points from the bathymetry, or add additional points to allow flow.

Martin