[MITgcm-support] vertical smagorinsky viscosity

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 13 10:45:50 EDT 2019

Hi Martin,

The verification expt you mentioned did not help me much.

Instead, I went to /pkg/mom_common,

1) I am currently using viscC2smag and a quick read on mom_calc_visc.F seems to suggest only the horizontal smag is implemented but not the vertical?

2) If I use smag3d, I find mom_w_smag_3d.F, so the vertical smag is implemented if smag3d is turned on?

3) What is the recommended value for smag3d? I cannot find much info on how to use smag3d. Any chance the manual may be updated with the code?

Thanks

Yangxin