[MITgcm-support] Remove Conductive Heat Flux in Shelfice package

Patmore, Ryan D. ryapat30 at bas.ac.uk
Thu May 2 09:24:20 EDT 2019

Hi MITgcm people,

I want to remove the conductive heat flux from the equations in the shelfice package. As far as I am aware the only built in way of adjusting this term is via SHELFICEadvDiffHeatFlux. Setting this flag to true parameterises the heat flux though an advection-diffusion equation and setting it to false gives a diffusion only set-up. What I want is to neglect this effect entirely and remove the conduction of heat through the ice. There is no flag for this and the code in shelfice_thermodynamics.F is quite abstract so I am not really sure if there is an easy route. An initial approach could be to set thetaFreeze = SHELFICEthetaSurface (or equivalently T_I = T_b) but whether this would work or not I don't know. Does anyone have a simple approach for this?

Cheers,
Ryan

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.
UK Research and Innovation has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UK Research and Innovation does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.
Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UK Research and Innovation business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UK Research and Innovation.