[MITgcm-support] Bottom drag setup question

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Tue Jun 4 22:11:36 EDT 2019

Hi,

I am checking the behavior of the bottom drag, following the old post http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2011-June/007258.html .

My question involves 2 scenarios, and I am wondering if my interpretation is right.

1. Scenario 1 setup:

no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,

no_slip_bottom=.FALSE.,

bottomDragQuadratic=2.5E-3,

Although both the bottom and the side are free slip, there are still bottom friction and energy dissipation at the bottom. I saw some papers do this using MITgcm, but it is not very intuitive to me.

2. Scenarios 2 setup:

no_slip_sides=.TRUE.,

no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,

bottomDragQuadratic=2.5E-3,

Now the bottom is no slip with a bottom drag coefficient specified. However, since the side is no slip as well, is there also a drag coefficient that can be specified for the sides?

There are some explanations in the documentation http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node58.html , but I am hoping further clarifications about this.

Thanks,

Yilang