[MITgcm-support] Setting ygOrigin in offline mode for Cartesian grids

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 19 09:03:37 EDT 2019

Hi Takaya,

in general ygOrigin for a cartesian grid should be in meters as you have done correctly. But the model input files do not know anything about ygOrigin, in fact I think ygOrigin is only needed to compute the coriolis parameter (f = y0 + beta * y). So if your resolution is, say, dx=dy=10km, the you still need to provide fields of size 60 x 40 grid points.

I don’t know much about the flt package, but maybe things are simpler if everything is transformed to ygOrigin = 0?

I would need more details (e.g. namelist files and STDOUT) for more detailed advice.

Martin