[MITgcm-support] Setting ygOrigin in offline mode for Cartesian grids

Takaya Uchida takaya at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sun Jul 7 10:31:39 EDT 2019

Dear MITgcm support,

I am currently trying to set up an offline run with Cartesian coordinates
in which I use horizontal velocity data from a different run over the model
domain of Y=[800,1200] km and X=[1400,2000] km as input.
The example in the documentation only seems to mention cases on a spherical
polar grid with ygOrigin and dySpacing being set in latitude (
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node173.html#SECTION004203100000000000000)
but when using a Cartesian grid, could you let me know what I should use as
ygOrigin?

I tried setting ygOrigin=8e5 (800km) but STDOUT indicates the model run is
stopping there. If I set ygOrigin=0., the model runs but gives no output
even though I’ve set the floater package to give me outputs hourly. My
assumption for the latter case is that because I’m setting particles to
exist over the domain of Y=[800,1200] km and X=[1400,2000] km, the model
thinks that there are no particles when ygOrigin=0. but I may be wrong.

Thank you,
Takaya