[MITgcm-support] changes in seaice default behaviour?

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Thu Jan 31 10:17:47 EST 2019

Dear all,

I have problems in continuing a global ocean run for the last glacial
maximum that I suspect are related to changes in the default behaviour
of the seaice module in checkpoint 67d.

I used to run the model with the somewhat outdated version checkpoint
66f over 3000 years. Then I switched to the newer code version,
recompiled and wanted to continue the run for another 1000 years or so.
What then happens is that - without having changed anything in my
data.seaice and SEAICE_OPTIONS.h - the model starts accumulating very
thick ice around Antarctica; ice tends to build up to typical ice
thicknesses of more that 15 m where I previously only had 2 m or so.
Eventually the model crashes and I believe it has to do with seaice+snow
reaching a thickness of more than 60m in a few points.

Can anyone perhaps tell me which of the new defaults in the seaice
parameters might me responsible and suggest what I could change?

I must add to this that I run a scenario where I force the model with
atmospheric output (temperature, winds etc) from a coupled ocean
atmosphere climate model run for the last glacial, so I get rather cold
air temperatures around Antarctica. For that reason my data.seaice has
already a few settings to prevent a too strong seaice buildup:

# SEAICE parameters
  &SEAICE_PARM01
   SEAICEwriteState   = .TRUE.,
   SEAICE_initialHEFF = 0.0,