[MITgcm-support] ARCHER, cray, mpi and STDOUT

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 02:43:13 EST 2019

Hi Dan,

Yes, I have experienced this same issue using cray Fortran compilers on
ARCHER. My STDOUT* files update infrequently and inconsistently. In my
worst case scenarios, STDOUT* doesn't update at all.

ARCHER support suggests that this could be a memory issue. That is, running
low on memory at runtime can cause weird output behavior. My solution has
typically been to reduce the amount of memory per core required by the
executable, e.g. by making the individual tiles smaller in SIZE.h. This
seems to work.

I also tend to use these compiler flags by uncommenting the last two lines
in the build options file "tools/build_options/linux_ia64_cray_archer":

FFLAGS='-h pic -dynamic'

CFLAGS='-h pic -dynamic'

I hope that helps!

Best,