[MITgcm-support] noise near the bottom

JIATONG jiatong at radi.ac.cn
Fri Dec 27 01:50:30 EST 2019

Hi Yangxin,
Thank you very much. I agree that the noise could be a combination of the turbulence and the grid scale noise. Because when I change the resolution, some noises are removed while others are still there.
The red line in the picture below is the actual topography that  I put into the model. The dz is set to 5m. The white area is the NAN value output from Mitgcm. I think that the topograohy is not rough. I have checked the MITgcm manul, it means when hFacMin is set to 0.1, the actual thickness of the bottom cell can cover a range of discrete values 0.5m apart from 0.5m to 5m depending on the value of the bottom depth (in bathyFile).So in the MITGCM calculation, the accuracy of the bathymetry in my model is up to 0.5m. Am I right?

JIATONG