[MITgcm-support] Question about the grid of LLC90 (ECCO V4)

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 2 11:45:51 EST 2019

Hi Fei,

when distribute the llc90 domain onto 30x30 tiles, you get 117 (=3*3*13) tiles. Some of these tiles are empty, i.e. they do not contain any ocean. These tiles can be listed in data.exch2: blanklist, and in SIZE.h you can then reduce the number of “tiles” nSx*nPx. In you configuration, you obviously have 21 blank tiles.

I found this helpful:
https://wiki.math.uwaterloo.ca/fluidswiki/index.php?title=MITgcm_tips#EXCH2

with exch2, you run your configruation with the full number of tile, ie:

sNx=sNy=30
nSx=nSy=1
nPx = 117
nPy = 1

then find the empty tiles like this:

grep Empty STDOUT.*

this gives you a list of empty tiles and more, which you need to remove before you can use the list in data.exch2, blanklist

Martin