[MITgcm-support] On the set up of the OBCS volume conservation in a regional simulation with curvilinear grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Aug 27 05:01:04 EDT 2019

Hi Chengyan,

AngelCS/SN are the cos/sin of the angle the grid makes with geographical north.The velocities are still aligned with the grid, so that **only if** you want velocities in the zonal and meridional direction you need to rotate them.

The same combination of variables (as you noted) describe the flux through the open boundary conditions in any grid.

If you want to use velocities from a polar spherical grid as open boundary conditions for a general curvilinear grid that is not aligned with the meridians and parallels, then you need to rotate these velocities into the direction of the curvilinear grid (which is given locally by AngleCS/SN).

Does that make sense?

Martin