[MITgcm-support] Inviscid fluid modeling

Павел Лобовиков plobovikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 03:42:35 EDT 2019

Hi folks!
I have one theoretical question regarding the equations underlying MITgcm.
If we are dealing with the movement of a *viscous *fluid it's obvious that
we are solving the Navier-Stokes equations.
But if I want to simulate the motion of an *inviscid *fluid I have to go
back to Euler equations.
The question is: how is viscosity deactivation implemented in MITgcm?

I have two assumptions:
1. We need to go back to Euler equations and change the boundary conditions.
2.  We remain within the framework of the Navier-Stokes equations and just
transit to the limit ViscocityCoefficient -> 0

Thanks!