[MITgcm-support] SSH drift with sponge-OBCS & OBCSbalance

yang zhibin 853245241 at qq.com
Fri Apr 12 11:49:31 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Recently I am running a regional model with OBCS. For the purpose of volum balance, I use OBCSbalance. However, there still exist SSH drift (though slow).
I checked the previous maillist and found a similar question about five years ago (http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2014-July/009288.html). Thanks to the reply of previous modeler on this question.
In that mail, Mattew gave a complex process to solve this problem (e.g. have the bathy gradient normal to the wall = 0 in the sponge; turn off tangential velocity; making the corners in the sponge layer have depth 0). I wonder if the zero tangential velocity could affect inner or the sponge layer? In the end, Mattew also suggest use RBCS  instead of OBCS. But could the volum balance without OBCSbalance?

Cheers,
Yang