[MITgcm-support] Behavior of Ptracers at Orlanski boundary

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Thu Apr 11 15:51:42 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

As MITgcm suggests, the implementation of Orlanski OBCS and Ptracers together is not recommended by the current version of the code. Following some previous discussions

(e.g., http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2012-October/008012.html), I comment out the part that stops the model in obcs_calc.F and obcs_check.F.

As a result, the model behaves well until the ptracer reaches the Orlanski boundary. I notice the occurrence of instability or aggregation of ptracer when it comes near boundary cells.

I wonder if there is any solution to this problem. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Yilang