[MITgcm-support] Offset Periodic Boundaries

Patmore, Ryan D. ryapat30 at bas.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 08:32:06 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I am exploring the possibility of having a model setup with spatially offset periodic boundaries along the vertical to the 'east' and 'west' of my domain. As far as I am aware there is no implementation for this within MITgcm. Am I correct with this assumption and/or has anyone tried this before?

To (hopefully) clarify the problem I want to have a domain set-up which looks a little like this:

     _ _ _ _ _
    |         |
    |         ~ c
    |         ~ b
  c ~         ~ a
^

-   > x

where -, _ and | represent solid boundaries/sea surface and ~'s are the connected periodic boundaries. The communication is aligned by some arbitrary offset with alignment denoted by the letters in the diagram.

Cheers,
Ryan