[MITgcm-support] Tracer instabilities when I reduce hFacMinDr

Naughten, Kaitlin A. kaight at bas.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 11:19:43 EDT 2018

Hi again,

The three simulations I tried yesterday (decrease timestep even more, increase vertical viscosity, increase vertical diffusivity) all showed similar instabilities as before. Also, increasing the (horizontal) Leith viscosity doesn't fix the problem. I can't easily increase the horizontal diffusivities as these are set by GM.

Could GM be part of the problem here? Or Leith? Clearly it's something to do with the thinner partial cells, but I think I've ruled out a simple CFL error...

Please let me know if you can think of anything else!

Many thanks,

Kaitlin