[MITgcm-support] ADWRITE package error "tapeFileCounter > tapeMaxCounter"

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Wed May 30 01:12:34 EDT 2018

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply. Increasing nWh solved the issue.

First, I increased nchklev_1 = 2000 (!), so nchklev_2 = nchklev_3 = 3. This
increased the memory footprint estimate returned by the 'size' command to
58.5 G. I am running on ARCHER, which has 64 G per node, so that may or may
not work. In any case I can experiment and try lower values of nckklev_1 if
needed.

I uncommented the last two lines of the ARCHER build options file
(tools/build_options/  linux_ia64_cray_archer), that is,

FFLAGS='-h pic -dynamic'
CFLAGS='-h pic -dynamic'

which allows for larger executables. However, that alone did not solve the
issue.

Next, I increased nWh=60*Nr in MDSIO_BUFF_WH.h as you suggested. As I
mentioned, that solved the issue. I have been able to finish a small
successful test run. If I run into memory issues during my full
simulations, I will (1) try smaller values of ncklev_1 and/or (2) try
smaller values of nWh.

Thanks again!

Best,
Dan