[MITgcm-support] ADWRITE package error "tapeFileCounter > tapeMaxCounter"

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:41:14 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I am attempting to run an adjoint model using the up-to-date checkpoint 67b
and TAF. It compiles without any errors, but I get the following run-time
error:

(PID.TID 0000.0001) ADWRITE: tapeFileCounter > tapeMaxCounter   691  690

(PID.TID 0000.0001) for file tapelev3_45_the_main_loop_gptrnm1

I have tried changing the checkpoint levels in tamc.h, but I have not yet
found the right combination. I want to run the model for 7300 timesteps, so
I estimate that if nchklev_1=10, then nchklev_2 = nchklev_3 = sqrt( Number
of steps / nchklev_1 ) + 1 = sqrt(7300/10) + 1 = 28. If I try to
increase nchklev_1,
then I get the compile-time error "relocation truncated to fit", which I
usually interpret as "this executable is too big, so make nchklev_1
smaller".

I have uploaded the adjoint-relevant portions of my code to github. The
adjoint settings are largely based on the ECCOv4-r2 setup:

https://github.com/DanJonesOcean/OxygenAdjoint/tree/d282f20c58c77b1e2c73c0303d49867ae15e54ea

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,
Dan