[MITgcm-support] RBCS relaxation time scale limits

Dhruv Balwada db194 at nyu.edu
Sat Mar 10 15:27:12 EST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to do some surface tracer restoration experiments with
relaxation time scales that are very fast (1s), extreme limit. This number
is smaller than the time step in my experiment. I use the RBCS package for
this. I am noticing that if the restoration time scale is smaller than the
time step, then no tracer enters the domain. However, things work fine/as
expected if the restoration time scale is larger than or equal to the time
step. Is there some reason why this is the case? The restoration time scale
seems to enter as a constant, not sure why it is tied to the numerics.

Thanks,
Dhruv