[MITgcm-support] WTHMASS vs WVELTH

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Sat Mar 10 10:35:26 EST 2018

Hi,

Just to clarify: WVELTH and WTHMASS are expected to be very similar
(same units, same scaling, no hFac and no grid-cell area),
event exactly identical when staggerTimeStep=.FALSE.

However, with staggerTimeStep=.TRUE. they will be different.
staggerTimeStep=T sequence:
 a) fill diag: WVELTH  = wVel*(theta(k-1)+theta(k))/2
 b) --> solve momentum and update uVel,vVel,wWel
 c) fill diag: WTHMASS = wVel*(theta(k-1)+theta(k))/2
 d) --> solve tracer equation and update theta, salt

whereas with staggerTimeStep=F:
 a) fill diag: WVELTH  = wVel*(theta(k-1)+theta(k))/2
    fill diag: WTHMASS = wVel*(theta(k-1)+theta(k))/2
 b) --> solve tracer equation and solve momentum
    and update uVel,vVel,wWel and update theta, salt

So for tracer budget, I would rather use WTHMASS ; but sometime
when trying to evaluate [w'theta']{time-mean}, I might feel more
convenient to use WVELTH.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel