[MITgcm-support] Smaller deltaTmom speeds up the model?!

Naughten, Kaitlin A. kaight at bas.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:12:22 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I am experimenting with timesteps and have discovered something strange. I have deltaT=600, and for the first few months of simulation I need to have deltaTmom=60 so that some areas with an unstable water column in the initial conditions don't cause the model to blow up. After the first few months, I can remove deltaTmom=60 (so it defaults back to deltaT=600) and the model is stable.

But when I do this, the model slows down! To confirm this was the case, I ran two simulations starting from the same timestep (1 year in). The simulation with deltaTmom=60 completed 22464 timesteps in 20 minutes. The simulation with deltaTmom=deltaT=600 only completed 8496 timesteps.

I have two questions about this:

1) Is this behaviour as counterintuitive as it seems? I'm wondering if larger momentum timesteps are somehow causing the elliptic solver to converge more slowly, which more than compensates for the reduced number of timesteps?

2) Since a smaller deltaTmom is so much faster, is there anything wrong with having a different value for deltaTmom and deltaT? Some of my colleagues thought that having different timesteps for ocean tracers and momentum might be dangerously unphysical.

Many thanks,

Kaitlin Naughten