[MITgcm-support] Inconsistency in cubed sphere grid generator

Nils Hutter nils.hutter at awi.de
Wed Jul 4 09:19:05 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I am using the northern face of the cubed sphere grid for Arctic
simulations. While refining the grid, we found that there is a jump in
the cell area for all cells that lie on a line in grid direction, which
crosses the center of the each face. This is nicely seen as a darker
cross in the attached figure. We checked the matlab grid generator for
cubed sphere
(http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/matlab-grid-generator/)
and found that the following changes in map_xy2xyz.m solves the problem
(see attached figure of grid cell area for new mesh):

RCS file:
/u/gcmpack/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/matlab-grid-generator/map_xy2xyz.m,v
retrieving revision 1.1.1.1
diff -r1.1.1.1 map_xy2xyz.m
20,21c20,21
< kx=find(x<0);
< ky=find(y<0);
---
 > kx=find(x<=0);
 > ky=find(y<=0);
23a24

57,58c58,59
< X(find(x==0))=0;
< Y(find(y==0))=0;
---
 > %X(find(x==0))=0;
 > %Y(find(y==0))=0;

For cs-tan-c-510-1020, the grid points generated with these modification
are on average 20cm displaced compared to original grid. Maximum
displacement is 79cm.

Does anyone know, why especially the last two lines that set some values
to zero were necessary initially? These lead to the slightly lower dx at
the boundary of the quadrant (-> the center of each face) and thereby
smaller grid cell size.

Thanks,

Nils