[MITgcm-support] Momentum budget using flux form diagnostics

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Fri Jan 12 03:10:31 EST 2018

Hi Ana,
I know it's not a very insightful answer, but I would just try to see if
you can close the budget.

The formula, for the hydrostatic case:
[du/dt] = - gravity * ( ETAN(i) - ETAN(i-1) ) / DXC
         + Um_dPHdx
         + Um_Advec   (+ Um_Cori : but only if using CD-Scheme )
         + Um_Diss    (+ Implicit vertical viscosity tendency)
         + Um_Ext
         + AB_gU

I have been asking about this some time ago, if you search with my name
you will find more details in the archives.
You can easily check if du/dt matches TOTUTEND. In the vector-invariant
formulation, you can close the budget to very good approximation
(relative error << 1e-3), even averaging only few time steps, so you
will immediately know if there is something missing for the flux form. I
guess it will work, but certainly I don't have much insight in these
numerical aspects.

Hope it helps,
Andrea

Andrea Cimatoribus