[MITgcm-support] Momentum budget using flux form diagnostics

Ana Paula Berger berger.anap at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 00:35:19 EST 2018

Dear all,

I am trying to do the momentum budget for a model that is run in the flux
form.

I have been saving and using the outputs available in the flux form, for
example for the zonal momentum:

ADVx_Um, ADVy_Um, ADVrE_Um, VISCx_Um, VISCy_Um, VISrE_Um, VISrI_Um (all
divided by the respective RAW * DRF * hFacW).

I also have the TOTUTEND / timestep to compare with the sum of those terms,
plus the Coriolis term which I calculated.

My question is how to do the budget in the flux form, not using the vector
invariant form outputs (I have been finding help for that but not much
related to the flux form).

I am not sure it can be done the same way. If you run the model in the flux
form can you use the vector invariant outputs to check the momentum budget?
If anyone ever used the flux form outputs, could you give me any advice on
what am I missing or what else should I include in the sum?

Thanks in advance.

Ana Berger.

--
Ana Paula Berger - Oceanographer, PhD Candidate.
+61 0474 833 811