[MITgcm-support] is Orlanski radiation condition working in the rotating rank of MITgcm?

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:24:38 EST 2018

Hi Martin and Yi-Chih,

To Martin: This feature has been introduced around 2011, and was mentioned
by Angela Zalucha here:
http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2012-April/007725.html
So the answer to the original question is: yes.

To Yi-Chih: How does this work ?

a) You need to set "radius_fromHorizGrid"
  to the radius of the sphere that matches the grid-files you provide.
  Since all the grid-files that are around have been set-up for Earth,
  this is very-likely you will have to set it to the Earth  radius,
  like in this "data" file:
 https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/blob/master/verification/tutorial_held_suarez_cs/input/data

b) And then you need to set rSphere to the radius of the planet you are
  simulating. The model will scale the length and area accordingly.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel