[MITgcm-support] is Orlanski radiation condition working in the rotating rank of MITgcm?

Yi-Chih Huang dscpln at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:31:28 EST 2018

Martin,

    Thanks much for the reply.  I conduct idealized simulations around the
Arctic regions.  Thus, I need to work on curvilinear coordinates to resolve
the singularity problem.  I started with the grids on arctic40km and
cs_4km.  Generally, I got the numerical disturbances around the lateral
boundary as the .png file.  I tried to update thelateral boundary condition
with Orlanski b.c. by adding obcs in packages.conf and useOBCS=.TRUE.,
in data.pkg, along with the data.obcs file.  Hopefully the attached file in
code, data.pkg, data.obcs, and data are clear enough.  The input
files include rhoRefFile, bathyFile, and hydrogThetaFile.  The
hydrogThetaFile is three dimensional so I don't want to attach it.
Probably my update in b.c. was not successful because the temperature
patterns are the same as the original one.  Thus, I did not attach another
.png file.  I wonder how to update with the Orlanski b.c. in MITgcm?

    I will study a planet other than the Earth.  Hence, the grids of arctic40km
and cs_4km will not be suitable for this work.  I wonder the relations
between radius and grids information on the curvilinear coordinates and
what to start with?

    Hopefully, my descriptions are clear enough and thanks much for your
help,

               Yi-Chih