[MITgcm-support] is Orlanski radiation condition working in the rotating rank of MITgcm?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 17 04:49:50 EST 2018

Yi-Chih,

I am sorry. I don’t understand what you are doing (and why, but that’s maybe not so important).

Does you config have anything to do with verification/rotating_tank?
This experiment mimics a small tank on a turntable in a lab. It’s not clear to me how to upscale that to the Arctic without fundamentally changing the parameters of the model.
Thus, I cannot follow your conclusions that you can fix anything with open boundaries. You need to make sure that your flow parameters are set correctly (eg. horizonal and vertical viscosity, Coriolis parameter, etc ….)

Using the grid data from arctic40km or cs_4km confuses me even more in this context. If you do things like this, the coriolis parameter should be automatically set according to the latitudes in the domain. You cannot change the radius of the earth without adjusting the grid information (because grid spacing ~ radius of the earth).

I don’t think anyone can help you with this unless you are clearer about you configuration. Maybe it would be a good idea to
(1) post your configuration somewhere, namelist files, “code” directory, “input files" (please no large files on this list)
(2) post a plot of the “disturbances” that you observe, with and without orlanski obcs

Martin