[MITgcm-support] is Orlanski radiation condition working in the rotating rank of MITgcm?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Dec 14 07:50:11 EST 2018

Hi Yi-Chih,

I can only guess what you are trying to do: You use the verification/rotating_tank setup, you probably change f0 from 0.5 to something more “polar”, e.g. 1.45e-4 for a latitude of 85.5 degN, but then your grid spacing needs to be adjusted (from the lab-scales in the original rotating_tank experiment), etc … There are many places, where you may not satify stability criteria. See here <https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/examples.html> for examples of stability criteria in other tutorial experiments.

Introducing open boundary conditions to get rid of grid scale noise is not a good idea. Normally open boundar condition tend to be more of a problem than a solution.

Martin