[MITgcm-support] internal barrier/boundary for SEAICE

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 04:38:30 EDT 2018

Hi Martin

Thanks for looking into this. Your suggestion makes sense, but would result
in potentially very thick sea ice in those locations would it not?

>From asking around it seems some folk have been employing a very thin ice
shelf ("ice tongue") to meet this purpose. From recent pull requests on
github, this has resulted in an no ice shelf being thinner than the top
layer thickness. Shelfice can still function even if ktopc==ksurfc, no? Is
this fix because sea ice only knows about ice shelf cover through
ktopc>ksurfc, or is it more complicated?

Cheers
Dan

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:30 AM, Martin Losch <Martin.Losch at awi.de> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I am afraid not. What’s worse, I have somewhat inconsistently replaced the
> internal mask of the seaice model (HEFFM) by maskC in many places (but not
> all), so that you can’t even use a modifed HEFFM to do what you want. You
> could, as a hack, use the bottom drag parameterization for fast ice to
> impose fast ice, e.g. by modify CbotC in seaice_bottomdrag_coeffs.F to
> reflect your geometry.
>
> Martin
>
> > On 7. Aug 2018, at 13:01, Daniel Goldberg <dan.goldberg at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all
> >
> > I am wondering if there is a facility in pkg/seaice to impose an
> internal no-slip boundary, i.e. a "wall" that will block the flow of sea
> ice, but at the same time not impose a wall for ocean circulation below?
> Such a thing would be for the purpose of imposing e.g. an ice tongue that
> blocks the flow of sea ice but does not impose any forcing (or weight) on
> the ocean.
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> >
> > Daniel Goldberg, PhD
> > Lecturer in Glaciology
> > School of Geosciences, University of Edinburgh
> > Geography Building, Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP
> >

> > em: Dan.Goldberg at ed.ac.uk
> > web: https://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/dgoldber
> > The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
> > Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Daniel Goldberg, PhD
Sr. Lecturer in Glaciology

em: dan.goldberg at ed.ac.uk
web: https://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/dgoldber