[MITgcm-support] Choosing Leith biharmonic co-efficient?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Apr 16 04:16:46 EDT 2018

Hi Jody,

my reference is pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F where you can find this:

C     RECOMMENDED VALUES
C     viscC2Leith=1-3
C     viscC2LeithD=1-3
C     viscC4Leith=1-3
C     viscC4LeithD=1.5-3
C     viscC2smag=2.2-4 (Griffies and Hallberg,2000)
C               0.2-0.9 (Smagorinsky,1993)
C     viscC4smag=2.2-4 (Griffies and Hallberg,2000)

And I think this is where it is described:
B. Fox-Kemper and D. Menemenlis. Can large eddy simulation techniques improve mesoscale-rich ocean models? In M. Hecht and H. Hasumi, editors, Ocean Modeling in an Eddying Regime, volume 177, pages 319-338. AGU Geophysical Monograph Series, 2008.
http://www.geo.brown.edu/research/Fox-Kemper/pubs/pdfs/FoxKemperMenemenlis08.pdf

Martin