[MITgcm-support] Choosing Leith biharmonic co-efficient?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Sat Apr 14 16:42:01 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Is there a good reference and/or ruls of thumb for choosing the Leith biharmonic co-efficient? i.e. `viscC4Leith` and `viscC4Leithd`, with particular interest in how the size of the grid affects the choice?  I’m using someone else’s setup, using Leith works great for making the flow look reasonable, but it would be nice if it was turned down as much as possible, particularly when I downscale to a smaller grid size…

Thanks a lot,   Jody