[MITgcm-support] Prescribed atmospheric temperatures and freshwater flux with exf/seaice/thsice packages

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Oct 25 04:28:44 EDT 2017

Sandy,

EXF_OPTIONS.h has a list of possible combinations of flags (and hence forcing fields). The “generic” combination for using pkg/seaice (or/and thsice) is option (3), define ALLOW_ATM_TEMP, ALLOW_DOWNWARD_RADIATION, ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE. evap (and sflux=EmPmR=evap-precip-runoff) is then computed from the bulkformulae. The reason is that over ice, the fluxes are modfied by the sea ice, and e.g. EmPmR is changed according to freezing and melting (and sublimation) of ice.

In addition to option (3), you can define EXF_READ_EVAP and provide precip and evap together with the seaice model, but not with the thsice thermodynamics, see thsice_get_exf.F:
#ifdef EXF_READ_EVAP
      STOP 'ABNORMAL END: S/R THSICE_GET_EXF: EXF_READ_EVAP defined'
#endif /* EXF_READ_EVAP */

Martin