[MITgcm-support] Input of warm water in depth

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Oct 19 10:48:20 EDT 2017

Hi Hadar,

I think you are on the right track with obcs. If you provide your namelist file(s), it would be easier to help.

It’s not clear to me, what you mean by “higher effect than should be”.
The obcs package in its simplest form just prescribes values for u,v,t,s explicitly. Even if the velocity normal to the boundary is zero, the avection schemes with a stencil larger than 2 or the horizontal diffusion will use the  tracer values and hence diffuse some information from the boundary into the interior. You can test that by using the advection scheme 2 for tracers and by turning of diffusion (diffKhT=0). This will be numerically unstable eventually, but initially you should have no effect of the boundaries.

For any other advice, I am afraid, I would need to have a look at your namelist files.

Martin