[MITgcm-support] Adding 3D diffusivity field to model input

Robert Nazarian rn2 at Princeton.EDU
Sat Oct 7 12:37:20 EDT 2017

Hi Jody,

It is indeed a CFL issue. Thanks so much for the advice!

Rob

________________________________
From: MITgcm-support [mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] on behalf of Jody Klymak [jklymak at uvic.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 3:26 PM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Adding 3D diffusivity field to model input

Hi Robert,

I’m pretty sure there is a CFL criterion for vertical diffusivity; basically dt < dz^2/K .  Are you sure that is being satisfied everywhere, in particular in any partial near-bottom cells you have?  Its unusual for it to be violated, but if dz is very small or your imposed K very large.

Have you tried inputting a constant low K to make sure its being input properly?

Cheers,   Jody