[MITgcm-support] memory increase with time using EXF package

小平翼 kodaira at edu.k.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Nov 19 19:47:03 EST 2017

Hi all,

I set up a regional model, about 1000kmx1000km large, and forced the model with hourly wind dataset with exf package. When I compiled MITgcm on a HPCS and run the program, it stopped after about 10hrs with the error message “Memory size limit exceeded”. Using the "numactl -hardware” command every 2mins, I found the free memory decreases continuously and significantly as follows.
node 0 free: 78411 MB
node 0 free: 78175 MB
node 0 free: 77929 MB
node 0 free: 77749 MB
node 0 free: 77534 MB

When I turned off the exf package, the memory still decreases but amount is much less as follows
node 0 free: 77082 MB
node 0 free: 77058 MB
node 0 free: 77032 MB
node 0 free: 77009 MB
node 0 free: 76988 MB

Does any one know this is what called memory leak happening? Can I fix this problem with some compile option? I’m using ifort. I appreciate if anyone can provide helpful information.

Best,

Tsubasa